Geared Hub Motor for Electric Skateboard

Electric Skateboard Motor/HUB Motor Technical Discussion.
Nick

Geared Hub Motor for Electric Skateboard

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:04 am

The eboard industry is really progressing rapidly at the moment, just this year we have seen some of the first hub motors for electric skateboards.

NOW WE HAVE A GEARED HUB MOTOR!!
Here are some renders of a Geared Hub Motor from a new player called STARY |
They are offering a Geared Hub motor electric skateboard. Interestingly enough it has only one motor!, it also looks like it is probably using a 6 Cell LIPO battery. It is coming straight out of china!

Nick

Re: Geared Hub Motor for Electric Skateboard

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:06 am

I still can't visualise how this geared hub motor works... it looks like an outrunner, but how does the wheel turn? Maybe its not an out runner, maybe the stator is spinning? Can someone please explain it to me I'm confused.

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:07 am

I can only assume that this is for "illustration purposes" because as it is it doesn't do anything.

I found this image of some real parts.

The only way I can visualise this working is if the outrunner had another barrel, around the outside of its barrel, seated with two large bearings either end.

So then you have two barrels. The one with magnets attached. The other joined to the big gear.

They would rotate in the opposite direction.

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:08 am

I'm not convinced that a geared hub motor for eboard is better than a non-geared hub motor. Only time will tell. Maybe both options will be worse than just having a belt drive.

I tend to get the feeling that a lot of these kickstarter campaigns focus on "being the first" and not so much on being the BEST.

Gimmicks are great for sales.

From a marketing point of view it is important to bring an exciting new technology to the market. It helps build hype. It could be the difference between getting the funding or not!. So it doesn't necessarily bring the best technology to the market it just brings the most exciting, most marketable product to the market..

So i think the problem is these campaigners put more focus on marketing then testing.

Simple! just make a video going up a large steep hill. Have a video data logger, like the vesc has, showing the Speed. Motor current or watts. Motor temp.

Inboard hasn't done.
stary hasn't done it.
mellow hasn't done it.

I say, If your products are so good just prove it with video.